2018 Annual Institute
2018 Annual Institute
Society of Policy Scientists
November 1-3, 2018
The World Bank Group headquarters in Washington, DC
"The Policy Sciences and Sustainable Development"
Getting to Washington D.C.
There are three major airports that fly into or near Washington D.C.
(1) Reagan-National Airport (DCA) is the closest to the hotel and the Institute venue. Specifically, Reagan-National Airport is a 15-minute (~$20+) taxi ride (Uber, Lyft, and other share economy options are also available from the airport) to downtown Washington DC and the World Bank headquarters. The Metro (Blue Line) stops at this airport, and you can disembark at the ‘Farragut West’ metro stop, which is within four blocks of the World Bank headquarters.
(2) Dulles Airport is located in Chantilly, Virginia, about 26 miles from Washington D.C. Supershuttle is available to the city, as are cab rides and share economy (Uber, Lyft, etc) options. Supershuttle and Supreme Shuttle cost about $25-30 one-way and a taxi ride can run $70 one-way. Uber/Lyft could be $40-$50 depending on the time and service chosen. The Metro does not quite reach the airport yet—the silver line is coming—but the Silver Line Express runs from the Wiehle-Reston East stop to Dulles. Fares are $5 each way, on top of metro fares ($2.50-ish each way). http://www.mwaa.com/dulles/7161.htm
(3) Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marsall Airport is located in Baltimore, Maryland, about 36 miles from Washington DC. Maryland’s MARC commuter train system travels between BWI and DC during weekdays. For approximately $6, the Penn Line offers service from the airport to DC’s Union Station, giving travelers direct access to DC’s Metro system (Union Station is on the red line, with one switch at Metro Center to the orange or blue line to Farragut West).
Blocks of rooms (available on a first-come, first-served basis) have been reserved at two hotels near the World Bank headquarters building:
(1) Option #1: The Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom is a 3-star hotel which is 3 blocks from the World Bank building. The rate is $188/night (plus tax) for November 1-2 (checkout on morning of November 3rd). The hotel’s address is:
Courtyard by Marriott Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom
515 20th St NW, Washington, DC 20006
Please note that the rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis and will only be available through October 1st. To make reservations, please call Marriott Reservations at 1-800-321-2211 or 202-296-5700. Please reference the Block Code: “World Bank Group” for Nov 1-2, 2018 at the Courtyard Washington, DC/Foggy Bottom, located at 515 20th Street NW, Washington, DC 20052.
(2) Option #2: The State Plaza Hotel, Foggy Bottom is a 3-star hotel which is 5 blocks from the World Bank building. The rate is $145/night (plus tax) for November 1-2 (checkout on morning of November 3rd). The hotel’s address is:
The State Plaza Hotel, Foggy Bottom
2117 E St NW, Washington, DC 20037
Please note that the rooms are available on a first-come, first-served basis and will only be available through October 1st. To make reservations, please call The State Plaza Hotel at (202) 861-8200 and reference the Block Code: “67089Q” for the World Bank Group room block at The State Plaza for Nov 1-2, 2018.
Please also note that there are other inexpensive options for nearby accommodation, if you prefer. You may wish to explore hotel sites (such as Trivago.com, Hotels.com, Choicehotels.com, etc) or AirBNB.
Since both hotel options are walking distance to the conference venue (i.e. The World Bank Group headquarters building), transportation will not be provided between the hotels and the conference venue.
Annual Institute meeting location
We will be meeting at the World Bank Headquarters Building:
The address is:
The World Bank ‘Main Complex’ Building
1818 H Street, Northwest
Washington DC 20433
All events will be held on the 2nd Floor, Room: 800 in the World Bank ‘Main Complex’ Building.
Please enter the World Bank through the main door (on H street) between the hours of 8:00am and 9:30am on either day. Late arrivals (after 9:30am) will be admitted for security screening through the World Bank’s visitor’s entrance (at the corner of 18th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue)
About the World Bank Group. The World Bank Group is the world’s preeminent development institution. It is based in Washington, D.C. and is comprised of five international organizations which make leveraged loans to developing and transitioning countries. The Bank Group’s stated mission is to achieve the twin goals of: (1) ending extreme poverty by 2030 by decreasing the number of people living on less than $1.90 per day to 3% (this number is currently 14%, which is approximately one billion people); and (2) boosting shared prosperity by promoting income growth of the bottom 40% of the global population. To these ends, financial support from the Bank Group was $72 billion last Fiscal Year, and is expected to grow to more than $100 billion in the coming years, toward an estimated lending capacity of $300 billion per year by 2024.