Terry Sanford School of Public Policy
This year’s Institute theme is Global Policy Challenges: International, Domestic, & Local Responses.
The 2022 Annual Institute of the Society of Policy Scientists will convene in person at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, USA. The theme reflects the growing complexity of major challenges to human dignity, reflected in the interconnectedness of the war in Ukraine, refugee crises, security realignments, energy and food shortages, global economic disruption, environmental degradation, and growing Chinese global influence as the West is preoccupied with Russia.
Topics and problem applications, though by no means exhaustive, include:
- migration, both international and intrastate, including environmental refugees
- health challenges, including disease vectors and food shortages
- environmental and natural resource degradation in the face of global demand and climate change
- boundary disputes and threats to sovereignty through the use of force
- challenges to ocean governance
- international security realignments
- energy system transformations and crises
- international aid transformation, effectiveness, and ineffectiveness
- information manipulation
We invite individual and interdisciplinary panel proposals guided by the problem orientation and contextual sensitivity. Those unfamiliar with how the policy sciences framework would approach such problems may wish to refer to some of the classic works, which can be found at: https://policysciences.org/resources/.
Proposal Guidelines & Selection
We seek proposals from scholars, practitioners, and students from social sciences, natural sciences, and law at any career stage. We welcome proposals of work completed, published, or in development. Society membership is not a requirement for proposal submission and participation in the Annual Institute. Proposals should be no more than one page. Please include a short description of your research topic. We ask that you provide institutional affiliation, preferred title, and email contact for all co-authors. Submissions will be reviewed beginning July 31 with final decisions made by September 8.
Please upload your proposal here: https://bit.ly/3A0HfoE.
Questions? Please contact SPSAnnualInstitute@gmail.com.